Game Vision Statement

For this blog I will be sharing my Game Vision Statement, I am extremely excited to create and see how this game will develop.

What is Escape The Maze? 

Escape the Maze is a game to challenge your mind!

How will Escape the Maze be played? 

Escape the Maze will be a game where the player will maneuver through a maze full of puzzles. by completing the correct puzzles they will let the players get closer to freedom. The player will be able to move forward, left and right on completing a puzzle when choosing a puzzle they will be able to move forward, backward, left and right. You will be greeted by a sign explaining the rule, for example if you choose the wrong puzzle or fail a puzzle you timer to get out of the room will decrease. This is to challenge the player as they will have to learn from their failures on how to solve the puzzles. The timer will add a sense of making urgent decisions that depending on how many puzzles you have failed or completed either subtract or add to your timer The player will view this maze as a first person view. This is to create a immersive feel for the player. The player will not be able to see the maze as a result of this meaning if they take a wrong turn while moving between rooms they could very easily get lost. These decisions are to hopefully challenge people's mind and encourage the player to think outside the box so to speak. 

What inspired the Game 

My inspiration for this game was firstly other puzzle games I have played my entire life so I can give you one specific game. But the maze element was inspired by the Greek myth of the Labyrinth which was this giant maze made by the legendary artificer Daedalus for King Minos. I first learnt of this legend when I was a kid in hospital and their would be special guests and stuff brought in to read and just interact with the children in the hospital. I don't remember the guest but I remember he was reading a book about Greek myths such as Hercules etc.. The idea is that the labyrinth is constantly changing and altering so going off that every time you re enter a game the puzzle to open the door wont be the same as the last time you were there.  

I was very interested in the idea of the labyrinth and since learning how to randomly generate something in unity I plan too look further into this myself so I can achieve this. My game will also be very different as it won't have creature roaming around trying to kill you. This was a concept I was going to included but have since decided that too much would be happening and that may actually hurt the game. 

Game Genre

The genre of my game Escape the Maze is a puzzle game. The Oxford Dictionary defines puzzles as "Cause (someone) to feel confused because they cannot understand something". This maze will be about learning from the past and adapting it to your current situation to move forward. As the puzzles won't always stay the same to being one of the correct one to open the door you may have to learn how to complete each puzzle to understand how to quickly get out, before you run out of time. This will cause frustration and confusion which is what most puzzle game have.  

How will this game make the players feel when playing. 

I hope that my game give's people a sense of challenge that drives them to wanting to go again and improve on their last attempt. I also hope it challenges people to think differently on how to approach tasks. I hope it makes the players have a sense of excitement while they race against the timer and dread when they complete the wrong puzzle or even anger not to the extent where they are throwing their phone to the floor but maybe a better word is disappointment when they realize the puzzle they did isn't gonna help them move forward in their journey through the labyrinth style maze that I will create. 

Resources that helped me while creating this Vision Statement

This is a list of Sources that helped me in creating this Vision Statement 

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3384/the_anatomy_of_a_design_document_.php?print=1

https://www.lexico.com/definition/puzzle

Resources that I have found during my research that I will use when creating my game 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxEg_Dr2utc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FdhKUoHnbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKWJBgFCDWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joKG1QlYvsE


Caption: This is a picture of a maze game. 


Comments

  1. Hello, John!!
    Ooh I really like the idea of completing a puzzle and then going on to the next one, and so on, #LookingForFreedom. Very good that there is a timer, it makes the player be tense and anxious to complete the game on time ( it kinda makes the player get addicted to the game, let´s agree hahaha).
    Omg, the Greek myth of the Labyrinth!!!! I love this myth, it´´s one of my favorites!
    The randomly generate code on Unity 3D is so very helpful! I´m also going to be using it on my game! It isn´t hard to apply and makes our lives so much easier hahahah
    Have you thought about the background music? What if you add a tiking clock to make everything even more tense hehe
    Best of luck on creating your game! I am very curious about the it, looking foward to play the game hihihi
    Lívia Alencar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, it's Aoibhe. Loved your game vision statement, Well Done! I liked the idea that the player will be shown the rules of your game before they start it, this is a really clever idea and will make people understand the game before they get to play it. For the timer did you consider when the timer will start, will it start when the player finishes reading the rules and presses a start button or will the timer start when the player first moves? I think maybe adding sound effects, such as the player moving through the maze could add something to your game. I think your game sounds brilliant and I can see that you have put quite a lot of research into your game idea and this game vision statement too! Well done and I will you the best of luck on completing this game and I look forward to seeing the final product and playing it too!!! -Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John, I just read your vision statement and I loved the sound of it. I think you explained the concept of it very well. I really like how it will be in a first person view, it will really make the player feel like they're in the game. Will your game have music/ sound effects for while the player is running through the maze or if they run into a dead end, if not i think this is an element that would really add to your game :) I also think you could maybe add an element to your game where the player has to jump over some obstacles throughout the maze to add some extra difficulty to the game and really make the player have to put some work in. The game sounds great and I am really looking forward to seeing the end product and hopefully getting a chance to play it one day !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Join, I just finished reading your vision statement. I really this game idea that you have. Sounds very different and unique which is a really good thing. I like the whole concept of the maze and how you have to escape. There is defiantly a lot you could do with that. Have you thought about adding any other challenges in? How difficult are the challenges going to be? I think it would be pretty cool if you could make the maze feel claustrophobic, making the player get more uncomfortable as the timer decreases. Keep up the good work and I wish the best for your game!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Game Idea Research

Game Design