Feedback Strategies

 First I read the article that I read was "Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset" by Gravity Goldberg - https://literacyworldwide.org/blog/literacy-now/2015/12/08/be-a-mirror-give-readers-feedback-that-fosters-a-growth-mindset

I decided I would read this article because the title caught my eye. I was also curious about what the author meant by being a mirror. I find giving feedback to people just as hard as receiving if not more difficult as I know what it's like to be in their shoes. This article however has given me a lot to think about. The author give five qualities you should have in your feed back. those being as followed. 

1. Be specific. 

2. Focus on what the person your giving feedback to is doing ( not what is missing).

3.Focus on the process and the work put in. 

4.Make sure it can transfer.

5. Take yourself out of the feedback. 

These tips are defiantly very good and can be used for al forms of feedback. Especially the last one that says to take yourself out of the feedback as I know anytime I have gotten feedback and the person goes "I" I always feel like it's a personal attack and makes it harder to learn from it but when people don't say I i feel as though it's a easier to take it for what it is feedback. I will defiantly use these tips moving forward.  

The next article I read was " How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk " by Adam Grant - https://heleo.com/adam-grant-give-bad-feedback-without-jerk/8968/

I chose this article firstly because the title makes it seem like it can help with giving people negative feedback oh and it does help like a lot. I always feel like when giving people negative feedback its very difficult as it can come off in a jerkish nature. We are told to use a "compliment sandwich" but I agree with the author saying that this is not the best course of action as the compliments can drown out the actual feedback. He gives four tips to use instead of a "compliment sandwich".

1. Explain why you're giving the feedback.

2. Take yourself off a pedestal 

3.Ask if the person wants feedback 

4.Have a transparent dialogue, not a manipulative monologue. 

I personally think these are excellent tips that help in making your feedback better. They also help to make the feedback come off in more of a positive light even though it is negative.  


Do you feel confident about giving people useful feedback?

I personally don't feel confident about giving people useful feedback. This is because I've never been great at voicing my own a opinion. This is something I will have to work on in the coming weeks but I feel like I have learned a lot not only this week but last week that can help me with that. 

Do you have some strategies you can recommend? 

I don't have any strategies for giving feedback at this moment. However I do think that the tips that were giving in both articles could help anyone who struggles with giving feedback. 


Caption: quote by Bill Gates


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game Idea Research

Game Design

Game Vision Statement