Game Brainstorm

 Puzzle Game!

My idea for a Puzzle game is a game in which the player is trapped in a labyrinth like prison. They have to solve a series of puzzles to gain there freedom. However they will be given a choice of multiple puzzles to solve one letting them move forward and the rest ending the playing experience. This game would require the player to fail to learn and move forward, obviously they could be lucky and never fail but that is unlikely. Puzzle games usually help strengthen peoples thought process so that would be the aim of this game. When it comes to creating a game like this, I have very little knowledge of how to do that YET!!! If we are talking knowledge of these kind of games, I have a good bit I have always played puzzle-based games. Some games which I have played that have puzzle elements are Little Nightmares and Life is Strange both incorporating puzzles into themselves very differently. I'm interested in these sorts of games because they usually have a very deep meaning or are just puzzles that are fun and addictive to help waste time/ entertain the player. Also I like the idea of these types of games strengthening someone's neurological pathways without them even knowing, as someone who has epilepsy which effects my memory I play a lot of puzzle games to help with that and I would like and enjoy making one. This Link  is to an article about how puzzle games have been proven to improve brain power. I would like to learn how to make puzzles that when completed could change the world around them such as opening doors and such. I would tackle creating this game by using Unity 3D, I would tackle the issue of the puzzles by researching this in my own time if it wasn't covered in our Unity tutorials if I were to choose this game. 


Caption: Little Nightmare cover art. 


Car/ Driving Simulator

My second idea for a game would be a driving simulator. This wouldn't just be a racing or driving game it would be the objective of this game to cause as much damage to other vehicles with yours. This would have you driving round a course with a few other vehicles and the objective is to cause as much damage to them to knock them out but in turn you take damage as well, so you have to be smart about how you inflict damage. This is a very basic concept as I feel it describes the objects of the game very well. It would be a signal player game. I have found that most driving games that reward or rely on damage are multiplayer games and have a battle royal type aspect to them. I have previous knowledge of how to make a car move from last week's Unity tutorials. I hope to keep learning more about how to control a vehicle in a game, I'm sure this will be covered in the Unity tutorials in the coming weeks. I would tackle creating this game buy using my skills I will be learning from Unity 3D. I'm interested in these sorts of games because I grew up playing Grand Turismo games and other Racing/ Car simulators. I also have found that games that have damage aspects can be a lot more enjoyable as they allow you to do stuff that in real life would not be firstly safe or possible which is part of these sorts of games appeal. In my research I didn't find any game that was majorly like my idea as the games with similarities are all open world whereas my game would be strictly a select few courses.  This is a link to a video of a game where you are in a open world battle royal trying to cause damage to other players online the game is call Forza Horizon 4.  


Caption: A screen grab from Forza Horizon 4's battle Royal mode.


Strategy Game 

My third idea for a game would be a Strategy based game. This game would have the player exploring a strange world where demon like creatures live. The player will have to use strategy to avoid attacks from a variety of different enemies. This will mean the player will have to come up with a strong strategy to defeat the enemies and may have to come up with different strategies for different enemies. I would really like to learn how to program different enemies to attack in different ways and to learn how to make a challenging game that makes the player really think about what they are trying to achieve and for them to find creative ways of doing this. I have no previous knowledge on how to create one of these games. My previous knowledge of this genre of games is limited but a lot of games involve strategy and that is something I find enjoyable, I really enjoy the aspect of learning from my mistakes and basing how to move forward from what I learned to help me defeat or solve what challenge is ahead. I find these types of games really intriguing even though I am terrible at full on Strategy games such as League of legends and those types of games. I would tackle this kind of game by jumping into research on these kinds of games to find out the kind of elements from these games that I would want to implement in my own game. I found some articles that helped inform me on some strategy-based games that I could check out in more detail if I were to choose this style of game. This is a link to one of the most helpful articles I found during my research of Strategy games.


Caption: A game of League of Legends.


Idle Game 

My finale idea for a game would be a Idle game. This would be a "clicker" style game were you would click to move forward. In this game the player would be exploring a cave through a first person's view as they explore the cave for hidden treasure. My previous knowledge of these kind of games is usually confided to 2D mobile games which I think we have all had at one stage of our life's games such as Flappy bird, Angry birds, Jetpack joyride to name but a few they are used to pass time. They can be highly addictive as they have you wanting to collect more and more to get new upgrades. This is all to keep you engaged and coming back. I would love how to make one of these games as I feel the entire process would be a learning experience that would only better me in my game making abilities. I'm interested in these type of games as they are so common, and I have played so many of them. Everyone has played one of these games at least once and that makes them accessible to everyone of all ages and all gaming backgrounds from the casual to the pro gamer. These games are popular because of their simplicity and they appeal to everyone for these reasons. I would tackle making this game by exploring other games in this genre seeing which games are the most popular in the last 5 years and seeing what they have in common. I would also use Unity to create this game learning anything I may need to create it before I begin work on this game. This is a link to a article I found in my research that I found extremely helpful. This article includes a video version of the article as well. 


Caption: Angry birds.


Comments

  1. Hey John, I was reading through this blog and your second game idea seems really great and it seems like it would be a really funny game to play. I think everyone likes a good car game and everyone likes to cause destruction in games so why not mix both. Seems like a great idea and I would be really interested to see how it turns out if you go ahead with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,
    it's me again, just finished reading your brainstorm and I really like all your ideas but the one that got my attention was your second Idea just because I think car games are best games to play even tho it's coming from someone that does not play any game. Anyway goodluck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Game Idea Research

Game Design

Game Vision Statement