Growth Mindset

 This was my first-time hearing Carol Dweck. I found her insights into mindsets both fixed and growth very intriguing. I watched a few of her videos and found her process of studying the mindsets quite strange at first but after a couple of videos I started to see the genius behind the madness so to speak. 

Focusing on Brain Research at Stanford: Mindsets video for me it confirmed a few things I already knew that all people as children, babies to be more specific are born with a growth mindset but as they grow up for some it's changed by the lessons they learn and there environments. It also confirmed that some people grow up believing that intelligence is fixed and that you can't gain more but on the other side of that some people believe that its something that you can work on and grow like a muscle, which its proven to be. 

I learnt that fixed and growth mindsets are developed in the first couple of years of someone's life usually in the first few years of school and at home. I find this quite intriguing because most students come into the first year of school excited and begin to dislike it around 2nd/3rd class (Irish school system). 

This has left me curious as to how much emphasis on teaching children a growth mindset in those early years there is. As when I went to school many people myself included began to dislike school later down the line began to dislike it for many reasons. 

I am going to learn more about this by reaching out to family who have become teachers in recent years and ask them how they implement teaching there pupils a growth mindset. I will also reach out to my friends who are currently studying to become teachers and ask if they have been thought about the growth and fixed mindsets and how to teach their pupils to have a growth mindset as its proven to improve their engagement.   

A graphic of a brain working out to grow and be stronger.

Title: Brain Research at Stanford: Mindsets
Link to video referenced above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvIBG98wj0Q


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Game Idea Research

Game Design

Game Vision Statement