Game Alpha

 


This week I spent 3 hours working on my game alpha. This week was better than last week. 

This week I started by looking at the player controls and fixing so that the player could choose to move forward when they wanted so I  went to my Player Controller script and had to change some code as the code I was using allowed for the player to move left and right but just made the player zoom off forward with no control on this. That wasn't what I wanted so I went looking for a tutorial and found this code which I used and modified to allow for the arrow keys up, left and right to be used. 


Image Caption: My code to control the player 

I then added in doors from the Tim's Horror Assets - The Bloody Door asset set I add 7 doors one at the end of each room. However as I still need to add in a puzzle I have no way of actually opening the doors yet. I then realized when I started the game the doors flew away so I added a Rigidbody component to keep them in place. I then tried to make it so that the player wouldn't be able to just walk straight through the walls and closed doors so I went by adding Box colliders but this didn't work and I felt I was spending to much time trying to find out how to do it so I moved on for this week. 


Image Caption: The maze with doors and lights


Image Caption: Light settings. 

I then added light sources in each of the rooms one for each. All in the center of the room and with a range of 10. 

Overall I am happy with what I got done this week however this process took way longer than it should have because my internet is gone and I had to use a hotspot to download and look up tutorials. I feel like this week went well considering this weeks limitations that I had and it went a lot better than last weeks so I am happy. 

For next week I hope to add in the puzzles and have those open the doors when completed, I hope to add some music I hope to fix the issue of the player going through walls and closed doors. Anything else will be a bonus. 

Comments

  1. Hi John, hope you are doing well. I have just had a look through your project blog. Your game looks really good, well done!! I really like the way your scene looks. The doors look really good I hope you get them working soon. I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your game, and I look forward to playing when you have it finished. Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, I read your OG post about your game a few weeks ago and I loved your game! I still do it's such a good idea! I read all the posts up to this and wow, I'm impressed! It's obvious you've put a lot of work into the game! I really enjoy your writing because you describe everything really well. The doors and lights are such a good thing to add, it really makes it feel like a professional game. I don't think I'd be any good at it though, haha! Are there any other things you plan on adding? What kind of puzzles do you plan on adding? I really enjoyed it overall, I’m looking forward to it being completed and hopefully I will be able to play it! Best of luck! -Megan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Game Idea Research

Game Design

Game Vision Statement