Prototype

For this weeks project task i began making my game in Unity and create a prototype. I have spent 3 hours and have done my best to make as much of my game as possible. 

I focused mainly on getting the layout of the the maze down which took up majority of my time as you can see below. 

What I did 

  • I downloaded a dungeon asset. 
  • I created the maze from there.
  • I began to make the pathways through the maze/ dungeon. 
  • After completing the floor plan I went on to bringing the walls the entire way around the exterior 
  • Added a character 
  • Organized my assets 
  • Positioned my camera. 

This is a free asset on the asset store that I found that will be used to make the rest of my maze.


To beginning making my game I had to start by making the layout of the maze which I did by Copying the floor tiles to make the path.

I then made a divergence in the path but realized there wasn't enough space. 


So I added more tiles.


I continued this process through the rest of the maze as seen above


I then found added a free asset person to be the player and scaled him to an appropriate size for the maze. 


I then began to build the walls of around the maze for the remainder of my 3 hours. 

What I need to Do 

  • Fix the camera to follow the player
  • Create a Player Controller Script 
  • Make the puzzles and add the doors.
  • Add music 
  • Make a start button 
  • Make a game over notification 
  • Add more Point lights. 

I found that my time got severally taken up with finding suitable assets that would work well together while also being taken up with mapping out the maze as the asset I found only gave me the starting room. Finding the assets took about 30 minutes while mapping out the rest of the maze took around an hour and a half as there was a lot of zooming in to make sure there were no gaps between the connecting tiles. I spent the last hour doing a few things firstly I re adjusted to a temporary position as I did not get around to creating a player controller script. I also started adding the the walls to the rest of the maze which took up the remainder of my time. This is why my list for what I need to do is so small as these are the things I want to priorities in the coming week, unfortunately setting up the basic layout took a lot longer than expected which resulted in me not getting as far as I would have liked. 

All images above are screenshots of my project so far. 








Comments

  1. Hi John, just had a look at all of your project blogs looks like you have your game well thought out, your GDD was very informative.. Just looking at your Prototype now and well done!! It looks like you made great use of your time and got lots done. Wow I think your maze looks brilliant, the rooms look well thought out too! I wonder what kind of music will you have playing in the background? Will it be creepy, dark music? Also what if in one of your games that the door opens and shits really quickly so the player would have to try to run through it before it closes on them, this is just a thought. I wish you all the luck with your game, Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, this is a really good first prototype and I really like how it looks so far. I understand that this game is a maze but is it going to be a scary maze or what type? As the dungeon gives the feeling of a scary game. Also, I think in some parts of the game it would be good not to have too much light as it would make it more difficult for the player to find their way around. Your game looks really well so far, good luck with completing it and also good luck with the rest of the semester. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI John!
    I just read through all of your project blogs and I'm really impressed, it was great to get to read through your process and see how you've made it to where you are now! Your idea seems really well thought out and I'm super excited to see how it turns out. I'd love to know what kind of music you are going to use? what kind of tone are you trying to set? I'm really really looking forward to seeing the finished product and I'm wishing you the best of luck with it and everything else this semester :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Game Idea Research

Game Design

Game Vision Statement